2018 Commonwealth Games, officially known as the XXI Commonwealth Games and commonly known as Gold Coast 2018, were an international multi-sport event for members of the Commonwealth that were held on the Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia, between 4 and 15 April 2018. It was the fifth time Australia had hosted the Commonwealth Games and the first time a major multi-sport event achieved gender equality by having an equal number of events for males and female athletes.
• Earlier Australia hosted Commonwealth Games in -1938, 1962, 1982, 2006.
• Motto – “Share the Dream”.
• Mascot – Borobi
• Next Commonwealth Games 2022 – Birmingham, England.
• Shooting game excluded from 2022 Commonwealth Games. The Birmingham Organising Committee of Commonwealth Games decided not to pick shooting game for 2022 Games.
India at Commonwealth Games 2018 –
• Opening – P.V. Sindhu led Indian contingent at the opening ceremony of the 21st Commonwealth Games 2018.
• Closing – Mary Kom led Indian contingent at the closing ceremony of the 21st Commonwealth Games 2018.
• Pistol shooter Vijay Kumar was the flag-bearer in the 2014 Commonwealth Games.
• 2014 Commonwealth Games was held in Glasgow, Scotland.
First Gold Medal list –
First medal for India in CWG 2018
• P Gururaja won the first medal for India.
• He won the silver medal in the men’s 56kg weightlifting event. First gold medal for India in CWG 2018
• Mirabai Chanu, won the first gold medal for India in the women’s 48 kg category Weightlifting event. India’s youngest-ever gold medalist
• Anish Bhanwala (15 years old) won the gold medal in the shooting game in men’s 25m rapid fire pistol event.
• Anish Bhanwala is a native of Karnal, Haryana. First Indian Woman Boxer to win Gold medal
• Mary Kom became the first Indian woman boxer to win a gold medal at Commonwealth Games 2018. She won the won the gold medal in the 48-kg category. First-ever gold in badminton mixed-team –
• India clinched its first-ever gold in badminton mixed-team event by defeating Malaysia. First Indian woman table tennis player to win a singles gold
• Manika Batra created history by becoming the first Indian woman table tennis player to win a singles gold at the Commonwealth Games 2018.
• She defeated Yu Mengyu of Singapore. First Indian javelin thrower to win a gold medal
• Neeraj Chopra became the first Indian javelin thrower to win a gold medal at the 2018 Commonwealth Games. India’s first wrestling gold medal in CWG 2018
• Wrestler Rahul Aware wins country’s first gold in the 57-kilogram category of the men’s freestyle competition. First ever gold medal in table tennis team
• India women’s table tennis team scripted history as they clinched their first ever gold medal at the Commonwealth Games.
• They registered a 3- 1 victory over Singapore in the final to clinch the gold medal.
• Players – Manika Batra, Mouma Das, Madhurika Patkar, Pooja Sahasrabudhe, Sutirtha Mukherjee India’s first medal in Shooting in CWG 2018
• Manu Bhaker wins India’s first medal in Shooting in women’s 10m Air Pistol event
• She is a native of Haryana.
• Heena Sidhu won the silver medal in Shooting in women’s 10m Air Pistol event.
• Mehuli Ghosh won the silver medal in Shooting in women’s 10m air rifle event.