The 2018 Asian Games , officially known as the 18th Asian Games and also known as Jakarta–Palembang 2018, was a pan-Asian multi-sport event held from 18 August to 2 September 2018 in the Indonesian cities of Jakarta and Palembang.
Venue – Jakarta-Palembang, Indonesia. (It is for the first time that the sporting extravaganza is being co-hosted by two cities.)
• Mascot – Bhin Bhin, Kaka, and Atung
• Motto – Bhinneka Tunggal Ika (Energy of Asia)
• Asian Games 2022 – Hangzhou, China.
• Most Valuable Player (MVP) – Japanese swimmer Ikee Rikako named as the Most Valuable Player (MVP) of 18th edition of the Asian Games.
Note: The 18-year-old, who bagged six gold and two silver medals in the tournament, became the first female athlete to win the MVP title.
|3||Republic of Korea||49||58||70||177|
India at Asian Games 2018
• Opening Ceremony (Flag Bearer) – Neeraj Chopra (javelin throw)
• Closing Ceremony (Flag Bearer) – Rani Rampal (Hockey)
First in Asian Games:
• First medal in Sepak Takraw – The bronze was India’s first medal in the event.
• First Gold medal – Bajrang Punia (Wrestling) won 1st Gold Medal for India in men’s freestyle 65 kg category.
• First Indian woman to win gold in wrestling in Asian Games – Vinesh Phogat became 1st Indian woman to win gold in wrestling (50kg category) in Asian Games.
• First Gold in heptathlon event – Swapna Barman became 1st Indian to win an Asiad gold in the women’s heptathlon event.
• First Gold in Javelin throw event – Neeraj Chopra became 1st Indian javelin thrower to win an Asiad gold.
• First medal in 20 years in women’s 100m dash event – Indian sprinter Dutee Chand clinched a silver in women’s 100m dash in the 18th Asian
Games to win the country’s first medal in 20 years in this event.
• First Indian female shooter to win Gold at the Asian Games – Rahi Sarnobat, the first Indian female shooter to win Gold medal at the Asian Games. She won the gold in the 25m pistol event.
• First women’s singles medals in badminton – P.V. Sindhu and Saina Nehwal won India’s first ever medal in the women’s singles event in badminton claiming Silver and Bronze Medal respectively.
• India’s 1st ever Bridge Gold – India’s 60-year-old Pranab Bardhan and 56-year-old Shibnath Sarkar won the men’s pair bridge event to bag the
country’s first-ever gold in bridge at the Asian Games.
• Vikas Krishan Yadav becomes the first Indian boxer to clinch a medal in three consecutive Asian games.
• First gold medal in 1500m after 56 years – Jinson Johnson won the gold in 1500 metres in the men’s competition in Asian Games after 56 years.
• Youngest Indian to win the gold medal in Asian Games 2018 – 16-year-old Saurabh Chaudhary won gold at the 10m air pistol event in Asia Games 2018 and became India’s youngest-ever gold medallist at the Asian Games 2018.
Other Gold medal winners –
• India won gold in the women’s 4X400 metre event. The Indian quartet of Hima Das, Raju Poovamma, Saritaben Laxmanbhai Gayakwad and Vismaya Koroth.
• Amit Panghal (Boxing) – India’s 22-year-old boxer Amit Panghal defeated 2016 Olympic champion Hasanboy Dusmatov in the men’s 49kg final to bag gold at the Asian Games 2018.
• Arpinder Singh (triple jump) – Arpinder Singh won the gold medal in triple jump at the Asian Games with an effort of 16.77m.
• Sprinter Manjit Singh won the gold medal in the men’s 800m event.
• Tejinder Pal Singh Toor won the Gold medal in Men’s Shot-Put final.
• Indian rowers Sawarn Singh, Dattu Bhokanal, Om Prakash and Sukhmeet Singh won the men’s Quadruple Sculls to win India’s fifth gold medal at the Asian Games 2018.
• Rohan Bopanna and Divij Sharan won the maiden men’s tennis doubles gold medal at the Asian Games 2018.