Bihar Current Affairs – January 2018
Bihar CM Nitish Kumar flags off projects worth over Rs 500 crore
On January 6, 2018, Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar inaugurated and laid foundation stones of around 750 projects, worth more than Rs 500 crore, in Begusarai and Khagaria districts.
- These projects were launched during Nitish Kumar’s state-wide “Vikas Samiksha Yatra” which began on December 28, 2017.
- Early on January 6, 2018, Nitish Kumar flagged off 294 projects worth Rs 236 crore at GauchhariKataha village in Khagaria.
- Later, he flagged off another 462 projects totalling around Rs 321 crore at Barbigghi village in Begusarai.
Bihar Government bans electronic cigarettes
Bihar State Government has imposed a ban on manufacture, distribution, sale, purchase, display and advertisement of electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes) across the state.
- E-cigarettes are handheld battery-run devices which are smoked just like a conventional cigarette. However the ingredient (in liquid form) may differ.
- The ban also applies to online sale and purchase of e-cigarettes.
- It is to be noted Bihar has already imposed ban on manufacture, distribution, trade, sale, purchase, display and advertisement of all tobacco products and items containing nicotine and not approved by the Drug Controller General of India (DGCI).
Bihar cabinet grants Rs 105 crore for Bihar Mahadalit Vikas Mission
On 30th January 2018, the Bihar cabinet allocated funds worth Rs 105 crore for Bihar Mahadalit Vikas Mission, which formulates and implements schemes for the most backward sections among the Scheduled Castes.
- This was declared in a Bihar cabinet meeting headed by Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar.
- In the cabinet meeting, it was also decided to construct a high security jail in Phulwarisharif block of Patna. The construction of this jail would cost around Rs 56.72 crore. Maoists and dangerous criminals will be held in this jail.
Delhi is the richest state, Bihar the poorest: NFHS-4
As per data collected through National Family and Health Survey (NFHS-4) conducted among more than 6 lakh households in 2015-16, Delhi is the richest state while Bihar is the poorest.
- The report outlines that poverty is widespread in rural India as 29% of the rural population has wealth levels equivalent to bottom 20% of the country’s population. While for urban India, the figure is just 3.3%.
- Delhi is the richest states with 60% of their households in the top wealth quintile. Bihar is the poorest state having more than 50% households in the bottom wealth quintiles.
Nitish Kumar receives 1st Mufti M Sayeed Award for Probity in Public Life
On 8th January 2018, Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar was awarded the first Mufti Mohammad Sayeed Award for Probity in Public Life at General Zorawar Singh Auditorium in Jammu.
- The function was organized by Jammu & Kashmir government. N NVohra, Jammu and Kashmir Governor, presided over the function. He presented the 1st Mufti M Sayeed Award for Probity in Public Life to Nitish Kumar.
- The Mufti Mohammad Sayeed Award for Probity in Public Life award has been instituted by the Jammu and Kashmir government to mark the death anniversary of Mufti M Sayeed.
Water Resources Ministry Signs MoU with Bihar and Jharkhand for Completion of North Koel Reservoir Project
On January 12, 2018, Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation, Government of India has signed a MoU with State Governments of Bihar and Jharkhand for completion of balance works of North Koel reservoir project at an estimated cost of Rs. 1622.27 crore.
- This project is situated on North Koel river, a tributary of Soneriver.
- As per the MoU, out of the estimated cost of balance works of Rs. 1622.27 crores, Rs 1378.61 crore will be provided by Central Government as a grant from Long Term Irrigation Fund (LTIF) under Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchai Yojana (PMKSY).
- Rs. 243.66 crores will be borne by Bihar and Jharkhand through the loan financed by National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD).
INS Vikramaditya formally affiliated to Bihar Regiment
Indian Naval Ship Vikramaditya, which is Indian Navy’s largest ship and the only aircraft carrier, has been formally affiliated to Indian Army’s Bihar Regiment and No. 6 Squadron of the Indian Air Force.
i.Bihar Regiment is a highly decorated Infantry Unit of the Indian Army. No. 6 Squadron of the Indian Air Force specializes in maritime strike operations and operates the Jaguar fighter aircraft.
ii.The affiliation ceremony was held onboard INS Vikramaditya at the Karwar Naval Base,Karnataka.
iii.The affiliation motto is ‘Victory through Jointness’.
Bihar Current Affairs – February 2018
Bihar bans sale of loose cigarettes
On 9th Friday 2018, Bihar government issued a notification announcing ban on the sale of loose cigarettes in Bihar.
- The notification regarding this ban was issued by Bihar’s health department’s special secretary Lokesh Kumar Singh. Lokesh Kumar Singh is also the executive director of Bihar Health Society.
- Bihar has become the 12th state in India to ban the sale of loose cigarettes. The notification specifies that as per Section 7 of the Cigarettes and Other Tobacco Products Act (COTPA), 2003, pictorial warnings of harmful effects of tobacco consumption should be made on the packets of tobacco products.
Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan inaugurates CPA Conference in Patna
On 17th February 2018, LokS abha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan inaugurated the 6th Conference of Commonwealth Parliamentary Association (CPA) of India Region in Patna, Bihar.
- The conference of CPA of India Region is conducted for 2 days. Main subjects for discussion in the conference are ‘Parliament’s role in the development agenda’ and ‘Legislature and Judiciary’.
- Law Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad and former Union Minister MurliManohar Joshi will present key note address.
K S Dwivedi appointed as DGP of Bihar
KS Dwivedi has been named the new Director General of Police (DGP) of Bihar.
- KS Dwivedi will take charge as Director General of Police (DGP) of Bihar on 1st March 2018. He will replace PK Thakur. PK Thakur will retire from his post on 28th February 2018.
- KS Dwivedi is an Indian Police Service (IPS) Officer of 1984 batch. His current position is Director General (training) in Bihar. His appointment as DGP of Bihar was made by Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar.
Bihar Current Affairs – March 2018
Sushil Modi inaugurates Bihar’s first ‘Startup hub’ in Patna
On 16th March 2018, Bihar Deputy Chief Minister Sushil Kumar Modi inaugurated the first ‘Startup hub’ of Bihar in Patna.
- Sushil Kumar Modi said that, work station and office space along with free of cost “plug and play” facility will be offered to 31 startup companies in the startup hub
- He also said that, policy and structural reforms to encourage IT enable services and ESDM (Electronics System Design and Manufacturing) in Bihar had been recently initiated.
Bihar celebrates 106th foundation day
On 22nd March 2018, celebrations for the 106th foundation day of Bihar began at three locations: Gandhi Maidan, S K Memorial Hall and Rabindra Bhawan in Patna, Bihar.
- Theme of 106th foundation day of Bihar is: “Centenary of Champaran Satyagraha and Elimination of Dowry and Child Marriage”. The celebrations will be held till 24th March 2018.
- Vice-President Venkaiah Naidu released the following books: ‘EkTha Mohan’, ‘Bapu Ki Chiththi’, ‘Champaran Ki Kahani’ and ‘Neel Ke Dhabbe’.
- The first Bihar Diwas was celebrated in 2012. Bihar separated from undivided Bengal in 1912 as an independent state.
Bihar Current Affairs – April 2018
Madhubani railway station in Bihar gets makeover with Mithila paintings
Madhubani railway station in Bihar, which was once considered as a dirty railway station has got a makeover with the traditional Mithila paintings.
i. Mithila art, also referred to as Madhubani art is practiced in the Mithila region (in Bihar). These paintings constitute geometrical patterns drawn with twigs, fingers, brushes, nib-pens, and matchsticks, using natural dyes and pigments.
- More than 225 artists, comprising 80 per cent women, volunteered to paint the station free of cost.
- This feat is equivalent to a world record as the total wall area of more than 14000 sq ft has been fully painted with various themes under traditional Mithila painting style.
Modi launches India’s most powerful electric locomotive in Bihar
On April 10, 2018, Prime Minister Narendra Modi unveiled India’s first 12000 horsepower electric locomotive from Bihar’s Madhepura locomotive factory.
- This locomotive, which is so far India’s most powerful locomotive has been developed at Madhepura’s Electric Locomotive Factory and is the first big Make-in-India project completed by Alstom of France.
- It has a hauling capacity of 6000 tonnes and can attain maximum speed of 120 km/hr.
iii. With the launch of this locomotive, India has joined the league of countries – Russia, China, Germany and Sweden – that have successfully run 12000 horsepower and above capacity electric Locomotives.
About centenary celebrations of the Champaran Satyagraha:
- PM Modi was in Bihar to attend the centenary celebrations of the Champaran Satyagraha as a part of “Chalo Champaran Campaign”.
- Theme of the centenary celebrations of the Champaran Satyagraha is “Satyagraha se Swachhagrah”.
PM addresses National Convention of Swachhagrahis, launches development projects On April 10, 2018, Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed the National Convention of Swachhagrahis (cleanliness ambassadors) at Motihari, in East Champaran district of Bihar.
- The event was organized, as part of the centenary celebrations of the Satyagraha led by Mahatma Gandhi, in Champaran.
- Theme of the centenary celebrations of the Champaran Satyagraha is “Satyagraha se Swachhagrah”.
Overview of Development Projects launched by PM Modi in Motihari:
On April 10, 2018, PM Modi launched development projects worth over Rs. 6600 crore in Motihari.
Water Supply and Sanitation sector: PM Modi unveiled a plaque to mark the foundation stone of Motijheel Project, the Bettiah Nagar Parishad Water Supply Scheme and four Ganga Projects viz. Saidpur Sewage Network – Patna, Pahari STP project, Pahari Sewage Network – Zone 4, Patna and Pahari Sewage Network – Zone 5, Patna.
- Railways Sector: PM Modi laid the foundation stone of the doubling of railway lines between Muzaffarpur – Sagauli and Sagauli – Valmikinagar. He dedicated the first phase of the Madhepura Electric Locomotive Factory to the nation and also flagged off the first 12000 Horse Power Freight Electric Locomotive and the Champaran Humsafar Express.
- Other Projects: PM Modi also laid the foundation stone for a petroleum oil lube and LPG terminal of Indian Oil Corporation Ltd at Motihari, a road lane of National Highway-2 in Auranagabad Bihar-Jharkhand border section and an LPG Plant of Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited (HPCL) at Sagauli.
Bihar has highest rate of crime against SC/ST
- As per NCRB data, crime against SC/ST is lowest in West Bengal.
- Madhya Pradesh reported the highest rate of crime (43.4%) against SCs specifically, while
West Bengal had the lowest at 6%.
- Rajasthan reported the highest rate of crime (12.9%) against STs specifically, while West Bengal had the lowest at 1.6%.
- The data also revealed that since 2014, crimes against SCs have increased by one percent overall, with a steep rise of 5.5% occurring in 2016.
- On the other hand, crimes against STs since 2014 have seen an overall decrease of 3.8%, with a significant drop of 8 percent in 2015.
Quick Facts about National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB):
- Formed in – 1986
- Responsible for – collecting and analysing crime data as defined by the Indian Penal Code (IPC)
- Parent Ministry – Union Ministry of Home Affairs
- Headquarters – New Delhi
- Current Director – Ish Kumar
NDMA conducts its first-ever Mock Exercise on Bio-Disasters at Patna airport
A five-day day training programme, aimed at enhancing the preparedness of Airport Emergency Handlers (AEHs) to respond to Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear
(CBRN) emergencies at the airports, concluded on April 27, 2018 at the Lok Nayak Jayaprakash Airport in Patna, Bihar.
- During the course of this training, National Disaster Management Authority
(NDMA) and National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) jointly conducted its first-ever full- scale Biological Management Emergency Exercise.
- This mock exercise was based on a simulated situation wherein the participants responded to a suspected Ebola outbreak scenario.
- Participants in this drill included personnel from Airport Management, Customs, Health and Medical services, Immigration, Fire Services, State Disaster Management Authority and Disease Surveillance.
Patna tops in 4G connectivity among 20 largest cities: Report
As per a report by OpenSignal, Patna has ranked No.1 among 20 largest cities in India in terms of 4G availability.
- OpenSignal is Lonon-based company that specializes in wireless coverage mapping. It monitored 4G user experience (availability) in India’s 20 largest cities for 90 days from December 1, 2017.
- The findings have revealed that Patna has topped the list and is placed ahead of cities like Delhi, Mumbai and even Bengaluru, which is considered a tech hub of India.
4G Availability – Top 10:
|City||Availability Time (in % terms) for 90 days|
Bihar Current Affairs – May 2018
Nitish flags off Beej Vahan Vikas Vahan Rath for every district
On May 19, 2018, Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar flagged off the ‘Krishi Mahabhiyan-cum-Beej Vikas Vahan Rath’ to create awareness among farmers about government schemes for them during Kharif season.
- Mr. Nitish Kumar flagged off two Raths for each district at a function in Patna on the occasion of ‘Kharif Mahabhiyan-cum-Mahotsav 2018’.
- Of the two raths, one is ‘Kharif Mahabhiyan-cum-Mahotsav Rath’ that would travel to blocks, gram panchayats and villages to tell the farmers about the schemes being run during kharif season.
- The other Rath is ‘Beej (Seed)Vahan Vikas Rath’ which would have Kharif seeds and pesticides for the treatment of kharif crop.
Bihar Cabinet approves Fisheries College at Kishanganj
On 29th May 2018, Bihar Cabinet approved the setting up of a Fisheries College at Kishanganj at a cost of Rs 40.31 crore.
- The cabinet meeting was chaired by Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar. It approved the creation of academic and administrative posts other than development of infrastructure of the College at a cost of Rs 40.31 crore in 2018-19 financial year.
- It also approved creation of 88 new posts in Transplant and Nephrology departments of Patna Medical College and Hospital (PMCH) for starting the kidney transplant facility there.
Former Bihar minister Kameshwar Paswan passes away
On 28th May 2018, former Bihar minister Kameshwar Paswan died after a long term illness in Patna, Bihar.
- Kameshwar Paswan was 77 years old. He started his political career representing Fatuha Assembly constituency.
- He was elected from the seat for two times in 1970s. He was a minister between 1977 and 1979. He was elected to the Rajya Sabha in 1990.
Bihar Current Affairs – June 2018
Bihar govt launches new crop insurance scheme ‘Bihar State crop Assistance scheme’ with effect from Kharif (monsoon) this year
On June 6, 2018, the state government of Bihar launched new crop insurance scheme named ‘Bihar State Crop Assistance scheme’.This decision was taken by a meeting chaired by the Chief Minister Mr. Nitish Kumar.
- Under this scheme the farmers would get a compensation of Rs7500 per hectare if less than 20% of the crop is damaged .
- And if more than 20% of crop is damaged , Rs.10000 would per hectare would be given as compensation.
Former Bihar Chief Sec appointed advisor to CM
Anjani Kumar Singh,the former Bihar chief secretary has been appointed the Advisor, Policy and Programme Implementation,to Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar.Anjani Kumar Singh is an IAS officer of 1981 batch. He retired in February 2018. But he was given an extension for 3 months.Deepak Kumar took charge as the new chief secretary of Bihar.
Bihar Current Affairs – July 2018
World’s first and cheapest clean drinking water project launched in Darbhanga , Bihar On July 15, 2018, The first of world’s cheapest drinking water project was launched in Darbhanga district, Bihar.
- This was launched by Sulabh International, an organisation that introduced the concept of ‘Sulabh Sauchalya’ in the country.
- The foundation of the project at Haribol pond in Darbhanga Nagar Nigam premises was laid by Sulabh International’s founder Dr.Bindeshwar Pathak.
- It would be managed by Self Help group of Darbhanga Nagar Nigam.
- The ‘Sulabh Jal’ project converts contaminated pond and river water into safe drinking water.
- The water purification process has a capacity to purify 8,000 litres of water per day at nominal cost.
- The cost of the project is around Rs 20 lakhs.With this people will get pure and clean water only in 50paisa/litre.
ADB , Power Ministry and Finance Ministry approve lining project of the Son canal in Shahabad – Bhojpur region of Bihar
On July 10, 2018, Union Minister of State (IC) for Power and New & Renewable Energy Shri R.K Singh with the officials from ADB and Finance Ministry reviewed the progress of lining project of the Son canal in Shahabad – Bhojpur region of Bihar and ADB approved it.
i. ADB and Finance Ministry officials will fix a timeframe for the completion of the project. ii.The estimated cost of this project is USD 503 million (Rs 3272.49 crore) out of which USD 352 million is being provided by ADB.
Bihar Current Affairs – August 2018
Bihar CM Nitish Kumar launched Mukhyamantri Kanya Utthan Yojana for empowerment of girls
On August 8, 2018, Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar launched Mukhyamantri Kanya Utthan Yojana for empowerment of women.
- A sum of Rs 7221 crore will be spend in a year on the programme.
- It will be run by three departments — education, health and social welfare.
- It will provide Rs 54,100 from the birth of a girl child till she graduates.
The break-up of the scheme is as follows:
this, on birth of a girl child her family would get Rs 2000.
- After preparation of her Aadhaar card, the family would get an additional amount of Rs 1000.
- If the whole range of immunisation is completed within two years of a girl’s birth, a sum of Rs 2000will be given.
- After entry into class one in a school, a girl will get Rs 600 for purchase of uniform. Similarly, she will get Rs 700 for uniform in between class three to five and it will be scaled up to Rs 1000 when she reaches 6th to 8th standard and Rs 1500 in between 9th to 12th standard.
- On clearance of Intermediate, a sum of Rs 10,000will be given to encourage her to pursue higher education. (unmarried girls only )
- After doing graduation, she will get Rs 25,000. (married and unmarried girls)
- It also provides incentive for completing immunisation within two years of birth
- The list of the girls who have cleared the intermediate examination this year will be given Rs 10,000 under this scheme.
- The amount under the ‘Bicycle Yojna’ has been increased from Rs 2500 to Rs 3000 .
- The amount for purchase of sanitary napkin has been increased to Rs 300 from existing Rs 150 under the ‘Kishori Swasthya Yojna.
Justice M R Shah of Gujarat HC sworn in as Chief Justice of Patna HC
On August 12, 2018, Justice M R Shah has been appointed as Chief Justice of Patna High Court.He was a judge of the Gujarat High Court.He enrolled as an advocate of the Gujarat High Court in 1982.He became a judge of the Gujarat High Court on March 7, 2004 and was confirmed as permanent judge on June 22, 2005.
Bihar Current Affairs – September 2018
Cabinet approved construction of New Domestic Terminal Building and other allied structures at Patna Airport
On September 26, 2018, the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs, chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi approved the construction of New Domestic Terminal Building at Patna airport.
- This project would cost Rs.1,216.90 crore.
- It is a part of the ‘Package for Bihar’, announced by the Prime Minister.
- This would increase the passenger handling capacity of the airport to 4.5 Million Passengers Per Annum (MPPA) from existing 0.7 MPPA.
Bihar cabinet approved scheme to give Rs 1 lakh interim relief among other proposals On September 14, 2018, Bihar government approved a scheme for providing interim relief of Rs. 1 lakh to those affected by mob violence besides speedy trial of such cases.
- The scheme provides for an interim relief of Rs one lakh to victims of mob violence within a month of the incident.
- to hear such cases at fast track courts to ensure its completion within 6 months was given.
- It also approved a loan agreement with the BRICS New Development Bank for USD 350 million for the purpose of building village roads.
- The money would be borrowed under a Multi-Tranche Financial Facility and a loan of USD 45 million would be taken for Tranche.
- It also approved:
- Rs 122.71 crorefor construction of a building for Aryabhatt Knowledge University in Patna.
- Rs 241.42 crore towards payment of salaries, arrears and post-retirement benefits to teaching and non-teaching staff of 28 colleges.
- Rs 14.98 crore payment to UNICEF for its Social Mobilization Network scheme for 100% vaccination of children.
- Rs 4.54 crore payment to UNDP for Electronic Vaccine Intelligence Network
Abhay K the first Indian poet to record poems at Library of Congress
On September 1, 2018, Indian poet-diplomat Mr. Abhay K became the first Indian poet invited to record his poems at the Library of Congress in Washington D.C.He was born in a small village
in Nalanda district of Bihar.
- The prestigious reading series is called : ‘The Poet and the poem’.
- His poems have appeared in over sixty international literary journals.
- He received the SAARC Literary Award 2013 and was nominated for Pushcart Prize in 2013.
- He is also the editor of poetry anthologies CAPITALS and 100 Great Indian Poems.
- His first collection of poems Enigmatic Love was published in 2009.
- He is the author of a memoir and seven collections of poems including The Seduction of Delhi (2014), The Eight-eyed Lord of Kathmandu (2017) and the Prophet of Brasilia’ (2018).
- His poem-song ‘Earth Anthem’ is translated into over thirty languages and has been performed by Symphony Orchestra of National Theatre of Brasilia.
Bihar Current Affairs – October 2018
National Dolphin Research Centre (NDRC): India’s first dolphin research centre to come up soon in Patna
National Dolphin Research Centre (NDRC), India’s and Asia’s first such centre would be soon opened on the banks of river Ganga river in the Patna University premises, Bihar.
- The NDRC has been set up to safeguard the endangered Gangetic river dolphin. They are killed in huge numbers for their flesh, fat and oil.
- The State government of Bihar celebrates October 5 as the Dolphin day.
Government sanctions 5 new battalions of Rapid Action Force (RAF)
Five new battalions of Rapid Action Force (RAF) were sanctioned by the central government in January 2018 and their new bases have been sanctioned now.
- The 5 new Rapid Action Force (RAF)
battalions will be based in:
- Varanasi in Uttar Pradesh
- Mangalore in Karnataka
- Hajipur in Bihar
- Nuh in Haryana
- With the new additions, the total number of RAF battalions in India will increase to 15.
- Varanasi will be the 4th base of RAF in Uttar Pradesh. Three other bases are in Meerut, Allahabad and Aligarh.
- Land acquisition for the new bases are in process. The existing battalions will start functioning from their permanent locations soon.
About Rapid Action Force (RAF):
- Part of the Central Reserve Police Force
- Raised and made fully operational in – October 1992
Bihar’s Shahi litchi gets GI tag
On October 18, 2018, the famous Shahi litchi of North Bihar has got the 4th Geographical Indication (GI) tag.
- Earlier, Jardalu mango, Katarni rice and Magahi paan from the state got the GI tag.
- Shahi Litchi is mainly cultivated in Muzaffarpur, Samastipur, Vaishali, East Champaran and Begusarai
- The GI registration was done in the name of Litchi Growers Association of Bihar, which had applied for the tag
- Bihar produces 40 per cent of the litchi grown in the country on 38 per cent of the area.
According to agriculture scientists, due to high calcium content in the soil, litchi is better in these areas.
Bihar Current Affairs – November 2018
PMCH to be redeveloped into world’s largest 5462 bed hospital: Bihar Cabinet
On November 4, 2018, the Bihar cabinet, chaired by CM Nitish Kumar, approved redevelopment of Patna Medical College and Hospital (PMCH) into world’s largest 5462-bed hospital. It also took 33 more decisions in the cabinet.
- The estimated cost for the project is: Rs. 5540.07 crore.
- Established in 1925, the hospital would be redeveloped by Bihar Medical Services & Infrastructure Corporation Ltd (BMSICL) and would be redeveloped in three phases in seven years.
- It would be world’s largest hospital having 5462 bed, as against the present 1754 bed, with 36 super speciality departments against the present eight super speciality department.
- Also, the number of MBBS seats would be increased to 250 against the existing 150.
- Additionally, it would be a “green building” which will have its connectivity with “Loknayak Ganga Path”.
- Presently, the world’s largest hospital currently is in Belgrade with 3500 bed.
- It approved home department’s proposal to increase daily/training allowance for home guard jawans to Rs 774 per working day from existing Rs 400 per working day.
- It also sanctioned Rs 3031.03 crore for carrying out maintenance of 5331.65 km of roads in south Bihar and Rs 3623.27 crore sanctioned for maintenance of 7731.61 km roads
in north Bihar under “Long Term Output and Performance Based Road Asset Maintenance Contract”.
- It also also sanctioned Rs 1450 crore from Bihar Contingency Fund (BCF) for providing assistance to the drought hit 275 blocks of 23 districts in the state.
- Furthermore, it also sanctioned Rs 392 crore for disbursement of loans in 2018-
19 under Student Credit Card scheme to be given by Bihar State Educational Finance Corporation Ltd.
70-feet tall second highest statue of Lord Buddha unveiled at Rajgir in Nalanda district in Bihar by CM of Bihar
On November 25, 2018, Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar unveiled a 70-feet tall statue of Lord Buddha at Rajgir in Nalanda district, Bihar.He also inaugurated a three-day Rajgir Mahotsava.
- This is the second tallest statue of Buddha in the country.
- The statue is made of 45,000 cubic foot pink sandstone and has been installed above a 16- metre radius pedestal in the middle of Lake Ghora Katora.
Also approving the Sikh community’s desire, clearances for construction of “Gurudwara” near “Guru Nanak Shital Kund”.
Bihar approves funds worth Rs 25000 for graduate girls
On 8th November 2018, Bihar government approved a proposal to offer Rs 25,000 to every girl graduating in 2018 and onwards.
- This decision was made at the Cabinet meeting chaired by Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar.
- The one-time payment will be offered to every girl who graduated from the colleges of Bihar on or after April 25, 2018, irrespective of pass division, community or region.
- Bihar Cabinet has allotted Rs 300 crore for disbursal of this payment to an estimated 1,20,000 girls about clear graduation course this year.
- This scheme is a part of a larger government scheme that aims to pay each girl Rs 54000 including payments made to her from birth to graduation.
NMCG approved 10 composite Sewerage Projects in Agra worth Rs. 1573.28 Crore to help reduce pollution in Yamuna
On November 21, 2018, National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) approved 10 sewerage projects worth Rs 1573.28 crore to address Yamuna’s pollution issues in Agra.
- The decision was taken by the Executive Committee (EC) of the National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) for the states of Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, West Bengal and Himachal Pradesh.
- This consists of:
- The project for Rehabilitation / Renovation of Agra Sewerage Scheme (Interception & Diversion Works) at a total cost of Rs. 857.26 crore including O&M cost for 15 years.
- Interception & Diversion works (I&D) and Sewage Treatment Plant at Kasganj at a cost of Rs. 76.73 crore including O&M cost for 15 years.
- Interception & Diversion works (I&D) and Sewage Treatment Plant at Sultanpur, Uttar Pradesh were approved by EC at a total project cost of Rs.64.76 plus O&M costs for 15 years.
- Projects worth Rs. 328.52 crore in Chhapra, Fatuha, Bakhtiyarpur and Khagaria in Bihar.
- Fatuha I&D and STP Project has been approved at a total cost of Rs.35.49 Crore.
- Bakhtiyarpur I&D and STP Project was approved at a total cost of Rs.35.88 Crore.
- Khagaria I&D and STP Project has been approved at a total project cost of Rs. 21 Crore including of 15 years O&M.
- I&D works including pumping stations and STPs under Burdwan Municipality, in West- Bengal has been approved at a total project cost of Rs.234.31 crores.
- Sewerage scheme for Zone-II and III of Paonta Town, Himachal Pradesh was approved at a total project cost of Rs.11.57 crore.
Government of India and Asian Development Bank (ADB) signed $200 Million Loan to improve State Highways in Bihar
On November 26, 2018, the Asian Development Bank (ADB) and the Government of India signed a $200 million loan in New Delhi to fund upgradation of 230 kilometers State
Highways in Bihar under Bihar State Highways III Project (BSHP-III).
- The Signatories were:
- Mr. Sameer Kumar Khare, Additional Secretary (Fund Bank and ADB), Department of Economic Affairs in the Ministry of Finance, GOI and
- Mr. Rajeev P. Singh, Officer in-Charge of ADB’s India Resident Mission.
- The loan agreement will help to upgrade all State Highways to meet the minimum two-lane standard with better surfaces and improved road safety leading to improved connectivity.
- Under the project,a State-level Road Research Institute will also be established to improve technical and management capacity of the Road Agency Staff.
About Bihar State Highways III Project (BSHP-III):
- It was approved by the ADB Board in October 2018.
- It will involve upgrading State Highways to standard two-lane width with road safety features and paved shoulders including reconstructing, widening, and strengthening culverts and bridges.
- The Project will also build institutional capacity of the State for road design and maintenance and incorporate appropriate new technologies in the State’s road sub-sector.
Since 2008, ADB has provided four loans to Bihar, amounting to $1.43 billion, to upgrade about 1,453 km of State Highways and to construct a New Bridge over the Ganga River near Patna.
Centre cleared appointments of Chief Justices of 4 High Courts
On November 10, 2018, the Central government cleared the appointment of Chief Justices of 4 High Courts namely: Allahabad, Patna, Madhya Pradesh and Tripura.
- The most senior judge of the Rajasthan High Court, Justice Govind Mathur, was appointed as the Chief Justice of the Allahabad High Court.
- The most senior judge of the Allahabad HC, Justice A P Sahi, was appointed the Chief Justice of Patna HC.
- The senior-most judge of the Madhya Pradesh HC, Justice S K Seth, was appointed as the Chief Justice of the MP High Court.
- The most senior judge of Himachal HC, Justice Sanjay Karol, was appointed as the Chief Justice of Tripura HC.
- Also, Justice M R Shah, who has been the CJ of Patna HC has been elevated as a Supreme Court judge.
Bihar Current Affairs – December 2018
Cabinet approves construction of New 4 – Lane Bridge across river Ganga on NH-19 at Patna in the State of Bihar on EPC Mode
The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi approved construction of a new 4 lane bridge across river Ganga on NH-19 at Patna parallel to existing MG Setu.
- The Construction of 5.634 km long bridge across river Ganga is expected to be completed by January 2023 with a capital cost of Rs. 2926.42 crores.
- The project will greatly facilitate the traffic movements without any congestion for the road users in Patna because the existing 4 lane MG Setu is facing a traffic of more than 60000 PCUs at present.
West Bengal, Bihar, Chhattisgarh top beneficiaries of Ayushman Bharat: MoSH&FW
On December 13, 2018, Minister of state for health and family welfare Anupriya
Patel announced that West Bengal, Bihar and Chhattisgarh emerged the largest beneficiaries of Ayushman Bharat.
- Till November 2018, the government had
spent Rs 798.34 crore on the scheme,
- West Bengal was allotted a total of Rs 193.34 crore,
- Bihar got an allocation of Rs 188.27 crore, and
- Chhattisgarh Rs 114.43 crore.
Bihar’s sweet delicacy Silao Khaja gets GI tag
On 11th December 2018, the traditional delicacy of Nalanda district of Bihar, Silao Khaja which is popular among the tourists visiting Buddhist sites of Rajgir and Nalanda was granted GI tag by Geographical Indications Registry at Chennai.
- The application to obtain GI Tag was filed by Silao Khaja Audyogik Swavalambi Sahakari Simiti Limited, Bihar.
- Silao Khaja is a crisp, multi-layered dough sheeted sweet, made up of wheat-flour, sugar, maida, ghee, cardamon and aniseeds as ingredients.
- Environment factors including local water and climate like high ph levels along with high Chlorine content of Silao region contribute to the puffiness and crispness of Khaja according to Public Health Division of Government of Bihar.