23rd National Youth Festival 2020 held in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh
The 23rd edition of the National Youth Festival (NYF) 2020 was held at Indira Pratishthan, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh from January 12-16, 2020. It was jointly organised by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports (MYAS) and State Government of Uttar Pradesh. The theme of the 2020 NYF was “Fit Youth, Fit India”
Inauguration: It was inaugurated by Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh Shri Yogi Adityanath and Minister of State (MoS- independent charge) for Youth Affairs & Sports, Shri Kiren Rijiju on 12th January that marked the birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda, Indian-Hindu monk.
- The NYF has been organised by the govt since 1995 with an objective to give an opportunity to the youth of the country to showcase their talent.
- Over 6000 participants from each state of the country participated in the NYF. some of the competitions that were held include Folk Dance, Hindustani Vocal Solo, Carnatic Vocal Solo, Elocution, harmonium Light, Tabla, Mridangam, Veena, Flute, Sitar, Guitar, Dances Manipuri, Bharatnatyam, Kathak and Non Competitive Events like young artist Camp, Yuva Kriti, food festival, Adventure Camp, Suvichar, Youth Convention etc.
Eight States finalized Agriculture Export Policy by the Government of India
On January 5, 2020, As per Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development
Authority (APEDA), eight states namely Maharashtra, Uttar Pradesh, Kerala, Nagaland, Tamil Nadu, Assam, Punjab, and Karnataka finalized an action plan for Agriculture Export Policy (AEP) to enhance exports.
i.Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA) ensures the involvement for states in AEP.
ii.A MoU was signed with the National Cooperative Development Corporation (NCDC) to include co-operatives for active role in AEP. Over 800 farmers producer organizations were signed the agreement.
- The product clusters selected are Jalandhar, Punjab (Potato), Sangli, Maharashtra (Grapes), Salem, Tamil Nadu (Poultry products), Theni, Tamil Nadu (Banana), Chittoor, Andhra Pradesh (Mango), Indore, Madhya Pradesh (Onion), Jodhpur, Rajasthan (Isabgol) and Chikkaballapur, Karnataka (Rose Onion).
- Under the guidance of APEDA, states are operating a market intelligence cell. v.APEDA launched the Farmer connect portal on its website to interact with exporters. About Agriculture Export Policy:
- Agriculture Export Policy was approved by the Union Cabinet in 2018.
- It aims to increase the potential of Indian agriculture to make India a global power in agriculture.
- This policy also helps the government in achieving the target of doubling the farmer’s income from 30 billion USD to 60 billion USD by 2022.
Uttar Pradesh became 1st state to shortlist migrants for citizenship
On January 05, 2020 Uttar Pradesh (UP) became the 1st state in India to conduct an exercise to shortlist migrants from Pakistan, Bangladesh and Afghanistan for eligibility under the new Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA) 2019. This exercise will also eventually identify the people living illegally in UP.
- All the 75 district magistrates of UP have been asked to track down migrants from the above three countries who have settled without citizenship for decades. Migrants from Pakistan and Bangladesh were reported to be found mainly in Lucknow, Hapur, Rampur, Shahjahanpur, Noida and Ghaziabad cities of UP.
- The state government will also update the Ministry of Home Affairs(MoHA) on illegal Muslim migrants in the state and they could also be deported back to their countries.
About Uttar Pradesh (UP):
Chief minister- Yogi Adityanath.Governor- Anandiben Patel.
National Parks(NP)- Dudhwa NP.
Wild Life Sanctuaries(WLS)- Bakhiara WLS, Hastinapur WLS, Katarniaghat WLS, Kishanpur WLS.
2nd phase of Intensified Mission Indradhanush (IMI) 2.0 begins in Uttar Pradesh
On January 7, 2020, The Union Government has launched 2nd phase of vaccination drive under Intensified Mission Indradhanush (IMI) 2.0 at block level in 35 districts of Uttar Pradesh (UP).
- It aims to achieve 90 % vaccination coverage among children under 2 years of age & pregnant women against 8 vaccine preventable diseases(diphtheria, whooping cough, tetanus, poliomyelitis, tuberculosis, measles, meningitis and Hepatitis B).
- Under IMI2.0, the government will provide the immunization activity in 4 rounds over seven working days excluding the Regular immunization days, Sundays and holidays between December 2019 & March 2020.
- It will primarily focus on those people left out from earlier immunisation drives including dropouts, resistant families and under-served population, tribal areas and the urban areas.
About Intensified Mission Indradhanush 2.0:
It is the 2nd phase of the nationwide immunization drive to mark the 25 years of Pulse polio program. The previous version (IMI 1.0) was launched by the centre in 2017. Prior to this, Mission Indradhanush launched in the year 2014, which sought to achieve 90 % immunisation coverage in India by 2020.
The 1st round of IMI 2.0 was completed in December 2019 and the next/ 3rd round of the mission will be launched in February 2020, where it will cover 425 blocks of 73 districts of Uttar Pradesh (UP) state and 4th round will be launched in March 2020.
4 Indian airports received international recognition for reducing emissions as per ACI
On January 10, 2020 the Airports Authority of India(AAI) has announced that 4 Indian airports have received international recognition for reducing the carbon emission level as per the standards set by Airports Council International (ACI) for the grading. The 4 airports are as follows:
|Si.No||Airport||City and State|
|1||Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport||Kolkata, West Bengal|
|2||Biju Patnaik International Airport||Bhubaneswar, Odisha|
|3||Lal Bahadur Shastri International Airport||Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh|
|4||Trivandrum International Airport||Trivandrum, Kerala.|
International recognition under ACI:
- The above 4 airports have managed a transition from level 1 to level 2 and the grading system of ACI was adopted by these 4 airports in 2018.
- ACA program: The reduction in emissions was achieved by constituting Carbon Management Plan(CMP) and reducing carbon emissions at airports as per the Airport Carbon Accreditation (ACA) Program.
- As per data on CO2(carbon dioxide emissions) in 2015,16,17 and 18, these 4 airports witnessed reduction in the emission levels.
- Grading system: ACI’s grading system is based on 4 categories. They are mapping, reduction, optimization and neutrality.
- Carbon mapping: It occurs when airport sets policy to reduce emissions and develop Carbon Footprint for the airport’s scope-1 and scope-2 emission.
- Carbon reduction: it occurs when the airport shows the reduction in carbon emissions as compared to the base year it has set.
About Airports Authority of India(AAI): Headquarters- New Delhi.
Founded- 1 April 1995.
Chairman- Arvindh Singh.
Director General(DG) of Civil Aviation- Arun Kumar.
Bahadurpur and Kheri Viran to become India’s first model sports villages
On January 16, 2020 Two villages namely Bahadurpur and Kheri Viran of Uttar Pradesh (UP) has set to become India’s first ‘Model Sports villages’ as a part of Institute of Management Technology (IMT) Ghaziabad, UP ‘Adarsh Khel Gram’ program in association with NGO(Non Governmental Organization)‘ Sports: A Way of Life’ to evolve sports culture and increase sports literacy in the country.
- Under this program all the verandahs, courtyards will be developed as primary sports ground management and IMT will provide Olympic related sports equipment.
- One hour everyday from 4-5:00 pm will be the designated time to play sports.
- Mr.Kanishka Pandey, IMT Sports Research Head,informed that various development sports committee will be carried out in distributing free booklets, sports magazines and books that will provide the villagers with the basic knowledge.
- The main objective is to teach about Olympic games in these villages and various Arjuna Awardees would meet these kids to motivate them to participate in the games.
Chief Minister(CM)- Yogi Adityanth
Governor- Anandiben Patel
India’s 1st War Memorial for Animals to be set up in Meerut, UP
On January 23, 2020 the govt has announced to set up country’s 1st war memorial for service animals such as dogs, horses, mules in Meerut, Uttar Pradesh(UP). This war memorial will come at army’s specialized breeding, rearing training centre for animals in the Remount and Veterinary Corps (RVC) Centre and College in Meerut.
- Names of 300 dogs, 350
handlers, few horses and mules that had dedicated their life in various
military operations like Kargil war etc will be inscribed in the granite
tablets in the memorial.
- Mansi, a labrador breed dog who was awarded the highest honour of animals will top the list of animals to be remembered.
- The Indian army currently has more than 100 dogs, 5000 mules and 1500 horses.
UPSRTC launched ‘Damini’ helpline service for women in Uttar Pradesh
On December 31, 2019 UPSRTC (Uttar Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation) has
launched ‘Damini’ helpline service considering the safety of the women passengers in Uttar Pradesh (UP). As the extension of ‘Nirbhaya Yojana’ the unique number “81142-77777” has been subscribed for this helpline, which was launched by transport minister Ashok Kataria in Lucknow, UP.
- Using these helpline women passengers can lodge their complaints by calling the helpline number and by using WhatsApp service.
- Women officers from UPSRTC will monitor this service from 9 a.m to 6 p.m everyday. After 6 p.m complaints can be lodged using general helpline number 1800-180-2877.
- On November 2019, web portal and e-Ganna app was launched for the sugarcane farmers by the Chief Minister of UP.
About Uttar Pradesh:
Chief Minister- Yogi Adityanath
Governor- Anandiben Patel
UPSRTC Managing Director- Raj Shekhar
Capital City- Lucknow
Uttar Pradesh government announced to build a 121-acre zoo named after Ashfaqullah Khan
On January 8,2020 The Uttar Pradesh Cabinet has approved a proposal to set aside Rs.234 crore for a zoological garden spread across 121 acres in Gorakhpur, Uttar Pradesh to be named after the freedom fighter and revolutionary Shaheed Ashfaqullah Khan.
- AIM: To attract tourists and to increase employment opportunities.
- The purpose of the zoological garden is conservation of the wildlife.
- Shaheed Ashfaqullah Khan zoological garden was proposed in 2008-2009.
- At present there are two zoological gardens in Uttar Pradesh namley, Nawab Wajid Ali Shah Zoological Garden in Lucknow and Kanpur Zoological Park in Kanpur.
Shaheed Ashfaqullah Khan:
- Ashfaqullah Khan was born on October 22,1900 in Shahjahanpur in Uttar Pradesh.
- Khan acquainted with Ram Prasad Bismil and found the Hindustan Socialist Republican Association (HSRA) with the aim of winning freedom for the country.
Chief Minister- Yogi Adityanath.
Governor- Anandiben Patel.
Uttar Pradesh government implements ‘Mukhyamantri Krishak Durghatna Kalyan Yojana’ for the state’s farmers
On January 21, 2020, Uttar Pradesh (UP) government has implemented ‘Mukhyamantri Krishak Durghatna Kalyan Yojana’ (earlier ‘Mukhyamantri Krishak Durghatna Bima Yojana’) for the farmers in the state w.e.f. 14th September 2019. The assistance of Rs 5 lakh will be provided to the farmers’ family in case of a farmer’s death and Rs 2 lakh if a farmer becomes 60% handicapped or more, while working in fields. The age limit of the scheme is between 18 to 70 years. This scheme is fully funded by the government of UP. The scheme will also be applicable for Bataidars, the farmers who work in the field of other persons, and share the crop after it is harvested.
- Within 45 days, the beneficiaries will receive the amount under this scheme. UP government will launch a web portal for this scheme for its easy access.
- The amount will be adjusted for the person who is already receiving benefits from Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Bima Yojana, Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana or any other schemes which are provided by the government.
- Apart from this scheme, UP govt will also implement Mukhyamantri Paryatan Samvardhan Yojana to boost tourism in the state. One tourist point will be developed with a fund of 50 lakh rupees in each and every assembly segment of the state.
About Uttar Pradesh:
Capital city- Lucknow
Chief Minister- Yogi Adityanath Governor- Anandiben Patel State Animal- Swamp Deer State Bird- Sarus Crane
State Tree- Ashoka tree
State Flower- Palash
GeM signed MoU with UP for GOTT Project Management Unit
On January 27, 2020, The Government eMarketplace (GeM) under the Department of Commerce of the Ministry of Commerce and Industry (MoC&I) has signed a Memorandum of Understanding(MoU) with the Uttar Pradesh(UP) govt to set up a GeM Organizational Transformation Team (GOTT) Project Management